Tuesday, June 16, 2009

the reality of onions

Being in the kitchen every night you realize how much you do the same thing over and over... like chop onions. Every time I am chopping onions I think, "wasn't I just chopping onions yesterday and the day before"... but there is no getting around it because so many dishes require the use of onions. I have often thought (while in the act), 'there has to be something out there that can do this for me' - ok I have a cuisinart already - so yes, I could pull that big thing out and do it the lazy mans way but the reality of chopping onions is there is this twinge of great pleasure and pride! you get when you cut that onion in half and chop it just right and at the perfect speed. You almost want to look up and see the cameras in front of you and say to the viewers "and see it is just that simple". Chopped onions is the foundation for many great meals and really it is the foundational art for a great cook in the kitchen. So there is no getting around it... we must chop onions for the rest of our lives, although not as our doom but as our art. And that is that.

No comments:

Post a Comment